After doing rough sketches of my scene from different angles and finding one I liked, I then took one of the sketches and did some experimenting with ink before working on my A2 piece. To help show depth, via aerial perspective, I made the wind turbines fade into the distance and made the mountain in the background very light.
In my final piece I decided to have the old windmill smudged and fading away to emphasize the feeling of the old being replaced by new technology. I feel that I made the mountain in the final too dark and should have made it softer.
I decided to have long grass stalks in the foreground and run right across the page to create low and exclude the viewer from the piece.
The first statue I decided to draw was one I found in Venice in the garden of an art museum. The statue itself was black and rough but reflected a lot of light. I struggled a bit with the area of its face where its eyes would have been, I felt I could not get the shape quite right but it was fun to draw this strange creature.
As a bit of a pallet cleanser I decided to draw another statue that I found in Greece. I did it with ink and water which I have never used for a human figure before so it was an interesting challenge.
For the limited pallet study I used orange, brown, black and white. I am very happy with the way it turned out. I succeeded in creating depth is my foreground but I did not focus enough on the background.
I enjoyed this exercise more than the previous townscape exercises although I do still need to work on my shading when working with pen. I feel that my preliminary sketch held enough information to do my final sketch. I enjoy making townscapes that are not as symmetrical and formal where all the buildings look the same. I enjoy buildings that have their own character.
I however did not do a very good job at portraying a foreground middle ground and background. In that way my drawing ended up looking very flat.
for this exercise I decided to focus on an old fish drying warehouse close to where I live. I love the old and tattered look of the building and it brings memories of my childhood living in a fishing village by a river. I liked the look of the paint pealing off of the door and walls.
In the first picture I used watercolours. I made the sky and the furthest mountain too close a colour I think and perhaps should have left the sky white.
In the second picture I used tea and charcoal. I decided to have the closest trees light and have them get darker as they go further back and so made an effect of a campfire and night which I quite like.
In this exercise I found it difficult to depict values of light, I think I was focusing too much on the perspective of the scene. I feel I should have done the drawing on a larger piece of paper since there were a lt of small details that I struggled to get in.
I have got prior experience with doing technical drawings and parallel perspective and so i quite enjoyed this exercise. Using a ruler helped a lot but I am happy to see that my original lines were not too far off from the vanishing point.
For this exercise I did two drawings of the same view, one which I could go over in pen to show perspective as well as the fore- mid- and background. A large portion of the scene is taken up by my background.
I focused on making the mountains and some of the trees that were further away very simplistic and light to help portray distance.
The scene I chose was one of a house on a cliff face overlooking a lake. I should have added colour to make the scene more readable and interesting. I’m quite happy with how the grass came out, I spent quite a lot of time on it. I should have also spent more time on the shore on the far side of the lake.